Want to help a family in need this Christmas?
Want for that family to be from Seymour?
It’s easy to do.
And there are two ways to do it.
Bob Crump, chairman of the Share Your Christmas (SYC) program that serves an area encompassing the boundaries of the Seymour R-II School District, said Monday that 15 local families were selected for assistance from the annual holiday-help project.
A total of 69 individuals, a majority of them children, are within those 15 families.
To help these local folks in need, Crump said the two best ways are to sponsor a family with Christmas gifts or to simply make a donation to SYC.
Sponsor envelopes currently are placed on Christmas trees at The Seymour Bank and HomePride Bank in Seymour.
At either bank, businesses, churches, individuals or organizations who want to sponsor families with gifts can simply select an envelope.
“Right now, there are six envelopes for our families at The Seymour Bank and five envelopes at the HomePride Bank,” Crump said Monday afternoon.
To make a monetary donation to Seymour’s SYC, mail it to the Seymour Lions Club, the sponsoring organization of the SYC project, at P.O. Box 235, Seymour, Mo. 65746.
Write “Share Your Christmas” on the memo line of your check.
The remaining timeline for Seymour’s SYC effort, per Crump, includes:
• Currently — Applications available to be picked up at the Seymour Community Library.
• Friday — Application postmark deadline.
• This weekend — Review applications at the Seymour United Methodist Church.
• Next Monday — Envelopes for family sponsors are set out at both banks in Seymour (HomePride Bank and The Seymour Bank).
• Next Monday — Food drive kickoff at the Seymour Elementary School for pre-school through fifth-grade students.
• Thursday-Friday, Dec. 8-9 — Presents for families are delivered to the Seymour Safe Room (4 to 6 p.m. each day).
• Saturday, Dec. 10 — Presents for families are delivered to the Seymour Safe Room (10 a.m. to 1 p.m.).
• Tuesday, Dec. 13 — End of the food drive and count the food items.
• Wednesday, Dec. 14 — Program at the elementary at 2 p.m. Assemble the food and gifts at the safe room.
• Thursday, Dec. 15 — In the morning, package produce, milk, bread, etc. In the afternoon, distribution of food and gifts to families from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Crump said Monday that none of the 15 applications that were received this year for SYC help were rejected.
He also expressed his thanks to the Seymour community for its support of the program.
“For so many of these families, this is the only Christmas they will receive this year,” he said. “The generosity of the people of Seymour amazes me every year, and I’m sure this year will be no different with the outpouring of help.”
For more information on SYC in Seymour, call Crump at 417-935-4039.