Wednesday, Jan. 15 -
- Seymour Tigers defeated Lighthouse Christian 41-39 in the championship game of The Seymour Bank Winter Classic. Trint Sampson was leading scorer with 15. Steele Johnson scored 11, Carson Sturdefant scored 10 and Evan Crump had 5.
- Cabool defeats Mtn. Grove 52-50 in overtime for third-place in The Seymour Bank Winter Classic.
- Seymour Jayvee boys’ defeated Mansfield 46-44 for the Championship in The Seymour Bank Winter Classic. Payton Bryant was the leading scorer with 20. Bill Daily scored 11, Eli Nunnally and Bryson Benson each scored 6 and Cooper Bunch scored 3.
Final scores from tonight’s varsity games in The Seymour Bank Winter Classic.
5th place: Bradleyville defeated Mansfield 66-64.
3rd place: Cabool defeated Mtn. Grove in overtime 52-50.
Championship: Seymour defeated Lighthouse Christian 41-39.
Jayvee championship goes to the Seymour Tigers as they defeated the Mansfield Lions 46-44.
Thursday, Jan. 9 -
- The Seymour Bank Winter Classic Tournament results: Mountain Grove jayvee 40 vs. Seymour jayvee 53, Lighthouse Christian varsity 61 vs. Cabool varsity 55, Mountain Grove varsity 33 vs. Seymour varsity 53
- Seymour with a huge upset just in the semifinals of The Seymour Bank Winter Classic, defeating No. 2 Mountain Grove 53-33. Scoring for the Tigers were Carson Sturdefant 20, Evan Crump 13, Skyler Newman 10, Trint Sampson 8 and Steele Johnson 2.
- Seymour jayvee boys defeated Mountain Grove 53-40 in The Seymour Bank Winter Classic this evening. Payton Bryant was top scorer with 18. Eli Nunnally scored 13, Bill Daily had 9, Bryson Benson scored 8 and Cooper Bunch scored 5.
Tuesday, Jan. 7 -
- Final score: Seymour varsity boys defeat Mansfield 43-40 in the opening round of The Seymour Bank Winter Classic. Seymour scoring: Trint Sampson 25, Skyler Newman 10, Evan Crump 4, Carson Sturdefant 3, Steele Johnson 1. Win improves the Tiger record to 5-6 this season.
- Seymour JV Tigers defeated Bradleyville last night in The Seymour Bank Winter Classic 54-17. Scoring for the Tigers were: Bryson Benson 12, Cooper Bunch 11, Payton Bryant 10, Bill Daily and Derek Akers both with 7, Eli Nunnally 6 and Kyran Hepko 1. The Tigers will play Mountain Grove at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 9.
Monday, Jan. 6 -
- Cabool -23 vs. School Of The Ozarks - 41, jayvee.
- School Of The Ozarks -51 vs. Lighthouse Christian -72, varsity.
- Mountain Grove -50 vs. Bradleyville- 39, jayvee.
- Mountain Grove- 58 vs. Mansfield 48, varsity.
Two years ago, The Seymour Bank Winter Classic field included eight teams.
Three were state ranked.
Two were undefeated.
Seven of eight had winning records.
This year’s field is substantially weaker, at least in terms of team records, with only two schools in the seven-team field reporting winning records when coaches met last Wednesday, Dec. 18, to determine tournament seedings.
The tourney will be played at the Seymour High School gymnasium from Monday, Jan. 6, through Saturday, Jan. 11.
The top seed is Cabool with a 3-0 record.
Entering Christmas, Cabool’s record was a perfect 6-0.
Head coach Brad Shockley’s Bulldogs defeated Seymour on Cabool’s home court in December by four points in a game where the Tigers were without a starting guard.
“We’re improved (from last season), but I’m not sure we are a top seed,” Shockley said at the seed meeting.
“Sorry, but we’ve nominated you,” Mountain Grove head coach Duane Hiler responded, smiling.
Hiler’s Mountain Grove team, despite having a 0-4 record at the seed meeting, are the event’s second seed.
However, all four of the Panthers’ losses at that point were against solid opponents, including Springfield Greenwood (ranked first statewide in Class 2) and Hartville (ranked second statewide in Class 2).
“I suppose that I should have scheduled us down a bit this season,” Hiler humorously added.
Seymour, with a 2-4 record when the coaches met, is the third seed. Since that time, the Tigers of head coach Chris Hastings scored upset victories over Fair Play and Forsyth at the Walnut Grove Holiday Classic to advance to the final four teams of the 16-school event.
In the fourth spot in School Of The Ozarks from Point Lookout, the on-campus high school for College Of The Ozarks. Coach Jerry Martin’s team had a 1-5 record when the coaches met before Christmas.
Springfield Lighthouse Christian earned the fifth seed.
At the seed meeting, the Chargers’ record was 5-2; however, Lighthouse Christian hadn’t yet played a public-school team. That occurred in tourney action in Walnut Grove, where Lighthouse Christian was a first-round victor.
The Chargers do return four of five starters from last season.
Mansfield is the sixth seed.
Coach Cody Shelton noted his team had an 0-5 record.
“We’ve been very competitive our past three games, and several of our losses have been close ones,” he said. “We’re a young team that’s getting better each game.”
Bradleyville is the seventh and final seed.
Coached by Seymour native Josh Hume, his Eagles had a 1-2 record at the seed meeting.
“I think it’s safe to say this field is wide open,” Hume said.
“Any team can beat any team on a given night.”
There also will be a junior-varsity tournament played.
Every school except Lighthouse Christian is entering a jayvee squad.
Bracket play in the varsity tournament will include teams seeded 1, 4, 5 and 7.
Pool-play includes teams seeded 2, 3 and 6.
In the jayvee event, pool play prevails with two, three-school pools.
Game action at the tournament includes:
Monday, Jan. 6
• 4 p.m., Cabool vs. School Of The Ozarks, jayvee.
• 5:30 p.m., School Of The Ozarks vs. Lighthouse Christian, varsity.
• 7 p.m., Mountain Grove vs. Bradleyville, jayvee.
• 8:30 p.m., Mountain Grove vs. Mansfield, varsity.
Tuesday, Jan. 7
• 4 p.m., Cabool vs. Mansfield, jayvee.
• 5:30 p.m., Cabool vs. Bradleyville, varsity.
• 7 p.m., Seymour vs. Bradleyville, jayvee.
• 8:30 p.m., Seymour vs. Mansfield, varsity.
Thursday, Jan. 9
• 5 p.m., School Of The Ozarks vs. Mansfield, jayvee.
• 6:30 p.m., varsity semifinals in bracket play, winner of Cabool-Bradleyville vs. winner of School Of The Ozarks-Lighthouse Christian.
• 8 p.m., Seymour vs. Mountain Grove, varsity.
Friday, Jan. 10
• 6 p.m., Mountain Grove vs. Seymour, jayvee.
• 7:30 p.m., varsity consolation game in bracket play, loser of Cabool-Bradleyville vs. loser of School Of The Ozarks-Lighthouse Christian.
Saturday, Jan. 11
• 4 p.m., fifth-place game, varsity.
• 5:30 p.m., third-place game, varsity.
• 7 p.m., championship game, varsity.
Tournament brackets are available at the Webster County Citizen office, located on the west side of the Seymour square, at no charge upon request.
Brackets also can be found online at www.webstercountycitizen.com.