KANSAS CITY, Mo., June 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Posty Cards and PrintForest are the first printing facility in the U.S. to receive the U.S. Green Building Council's TRUE Platinum® Zero Waste certification and the first company in Missouri to achieve the platinum level for waste reduction initiatives.
Posty Cards is a leading manufacturer of business-to-business greeting cards and owner of PrintForest, a sustainable, business printing division that also plants trees to offset all paper use. The TRUE® certification, one of many third-party verifications achieved by Posty Cards and PrintForest, documents the diversion of more than 90 percent of the company's solid waste from landfills, while cutting greenhouse gases and reducing costs.
"It's exciting to see that our zero-waste and recycling efforts are equivalent to the carbon-reducing impact of planting 4,400 trees in 2019 alone," said Erick Jessee, president, Posty Cards and PrintForest.
TRUE (Total Resource Use and Efficiency) is a nationally recognized program of the U.S. Green Building Council's (USGBC) Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI). To achieve it, Posty Cards/PrintForest:
- Reduced trash collection and costs by 83 percent
- Recycled more than 2.7-million pounds of materials in 10 years
- Replaced office trash cans with "sort me bins" that employees sort at recycling stations, nearly zeroing out office trash and eliminating trash bags
- Saved more than 32,000 tons of paper in 2019
- Composted all food and yard waste
- Replaced all single-use disposable plastics with compostable and reusable wares
- Engaged employees in reuse and recycling, and encouraged them to bring in glass and electronics for recycling, while taking home non-recyclables like pallets for repurposing
- Repurposed previously owned office furniture, supplies and even a shipping container for a solar-lit shed
- Purchased recycled products
USGBC Central Plains will host a TRUE Zero Waste Webinar featuring Posty Cards and PrintForest from 12-1 pm. (CST) on Thursday, July 9. Register at USGBC Central Plains.
"Posty Cards recognizes that by pursuing zero waste they are helping us build a sustainable future for all," said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO, USGBC and GBCI. "Waste impacts all facets of business, and changing the way we use resources will deliver public health benefits, reduce our environmental impact and advance a greener economy."
About Posty Cards and PrintForest
Posty Cards designs and prints personalized business greeting cards and calendars for nationwide customers. PrintForest offers online ordering for custom, printed business materials. Their sustainability commitment includes Forest Stewardship Council certified paper, 100% Green-e renewable energy, LEED Platinum certification and planting trees.
About Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI)
GBCI independently recognizes excellence in green business industry performance and administers certifications through U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) green building rating systems.
Contact: Janet Coats