Car crashes in chase

Car crashes in chase Seymour police searching for Tony Jo ‘T.J.’ Miller as Sunday-night pursuit leads to wrecked cruiser

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Seymour Police Department Cpl. Chase Davis had just ended his shift Sunday night and was driving home in his personal vehicle, heading east on Business 60.

That’s when he noticed an odd sight.

It was 7:15 p.m.

And Davis saw a spray-painted Pontiac Grand Am with license plates that expired in May make a U-turn in front of his truck.

“In my experience, when I see a spray-painted car, it’s often stolen,” Davis said Monday.

He noticed that the suspicious car pulled into the parking lot of Second Amendment Guns at the city’s east edge, where it met another car.

“I then radioed Webster County (dispatch), and they sent (Seymour Patrolman) Tyler Smith to the scene,” Davis said.

When Smith arrived and pulled into the parking lot, the driver of the Grand Am ran to the car, jumped in and headed east, crossing the railroad tracks onto Oaklawn Road.

The driver was identifi ed as Tony Jo “T.J.” Miller, 36, of Seymour, who Davis said was on probation and had two felony warrants for his arrest.

Although off duty, Davis detained the female in the other vehicle.

Smith then pursued the Grand Am in his police cruiser, a Dodge Charger.

While driving east on the rural road, Smith had a hard time seeing because of the dust being thrown by the Grand Am. At a 90-degree corner near the home of David and Lori Coutchie on Oaklawn Road, Smith lost control of his police cruiser, didn’t make the corner and ran into the home’s yard, hitting a truck.

“Tyler was fortunate that he didn’t hit one of two trees that were on either side of the truck,” Davis said.

East of the accident scene, the Grand Am crashed into a gate on the next corner, and Miller, the alleged driver, fled  on foot, Davis explained.

“He escaped into the woods,” Davis said of Miller, adding that he took fingerprints of the car. The plates on the car registered to the female motorist that Davis had detained earlier at the gun shop, a Mansfield woman who also confirmed that Miller was the driver of the Grand Am.

“We can use the word alleged to be offi cial, but the driver of the Grand Am was Tony Miller ... we’ve got witnesses to that,” Davis said.

As of early Monday afternoon, law-enforcement officials hadn’t found Miller.

Davis said Miller is 5’10” tall and weighs 180 pounds.

However, Miller did check in on the social-media site Facebook about four hours after his alleged chase that led to a wrecked police cruiser.

At 12:40 a.m. Monday morning, Miller wrote on the Seymour Police Department’s page on Facebook, “That’s (expletive), but say what ever u want about me. You are good at lies. It was not me cuz I’m sick and have not had a car or a way to get checked in.”

Davis said that if Miller needs a ride to the local police department to tell his story, he’s willing to provide a ride.

“I’ll be glad to go pick him up,” Davis said of Miller. “If he does that, I’ll listen to his story.”

In the interim, Davis said local residents should know that Miller has felony warrants and should be considered armed and dangerous.

“If you see him, stay away from him and give us a call immediately,” he said.

To notify the Seymour Police Department with any information about Miller, call 417-935-4200.

© 2019 Webster County Citizen. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most Popular