An unfortunate sidebar in Seymour’s history includes a few minor food-safety scares.
One occurred at a festival more than 25 years ago.
Another one came at a restaurant two decades ago.
Mark Price wants to end that.
Price, a longtime resident of rural Seymour and president of the Southwest Chapter of the Missouri Restaurant Association, will hold a one-hour seminar, titled “Food Safety At Home,” from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. this Thursday evening at the Seymour YMCA.
Cost to attend the class?
Working in the food industry for 50 years, Price is a state-certified instructor and certified executive chef who teaches food safety in virtually all facets of business.
At Thursday’s class, he wants to teach Seymour residents basic food safety.
“I’ll be teaching people how to be safe with their food from the time they buy it at the store until they serve it,” he explained. “The ultimate goal of this class is the prevention of food-borne illness.”
To that end, Price noted there is no such thing as the 24-hour bug.
“That’s food poisoning,” he said. “The goal of the class (on Thursday) is to prevent that.”
At Thursday’s one-hour class at the Seymour YMCA, Price said everyone who attends will receive a free bi-metallic food thermometer, like those used in professional food service, compliments of Seymour’s Kleier Farm & Home and the Webster County Health Unit, who are two of the seminar’s sponsors.
There also will be a drawing for a grocery gift card from Price Cutter, as well as drawings for several gift certificates for meals at Springfield restaurants.
Pre-registration isn’t necessary.
“I know it’s short notice, so I’m just telling people to be there for the class when it starts at 6:30 p.m. this Thursday at the YMCA,” Price said.
“Everyone is welcome.”
For those who can’t attend on Thursday, the same class arrives a week later on Thursday, Nov. 14, at the Webster County Health Unit in Marshfield.